TI nSpire Resources
This page contains resources that may be of interest to students using the TI nSpire CX CAS handheld. If you are wondering which calculator or handheld is right for you, we suggest starting with this link provided by Texas Instruments. We should note that the TI nSpire CX CAS handheld is very different from most calculators and requires time to learn; if you are not willing to put in the time, then this is not the calculator for you.
It is important to note that, at this time, the TI nSpire CX CAS is allowed for use on the SAT, AP Calculus and AP Statistics Exams, but is NOT allowed on the ACT Exam (the TI nSpire CX - without the CAS - is allowed on the ACT Exam). Please consider this in choosing which calculator or handheld is right for you.
Many of the links provided below are external to the mathguy.us website. If you find that any of the links no longer work, please contact Earl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using the TI nSpire CX CAS
- Using the TI nSpire Handheld version 2.1 is a set of reference notes available in either a Word Document or PDF Document. The Word document is contained in a zip file and contains hyperlinks throughout the document. The PDF document does not contain hyperlinks. This document is in development and will be updated as additional sections are written.
- Powerpoint Introduction to the TI nSpire CX CAS. Prepared for a Damonte Ranch High School presentation on July 20, 2016.
- TI nSpire for Dummies is an excellent resource to get you started learning how to use the TI nSpire family of handhelds. This link is for free information provided online. You can also purchase a book at most booksellers. Prices vary by seller; look at several to get the best price.
- John Hanna's TI-nSpire Collection - John is the recipient on a number of TI teaching awards. His nSpire website shows some of what the nSpire is capable of and provides resources for the Lua scripting language.
Resources from TI
- Texas Instruments Education Technology website - main website for TI Education Technology, including the nSpire.
- TI nSpire CX CAS Manual - a general guide to using the nSpire.
- TI nSpire CX CAS Software Manual - a guide to exploring the many capabilities of the nSpire. This is the guide that explains how to use the various apps that come with the nSPire and how to program it using TI-Basic.
- TI nSpire CX CAS Reference Guide - a guide to the many functions built in to the nSpire, including many that cannot be accessed directly from the nSpire's menus.
- TI Computer Link Software - download site for software that connects an nSpire to a computer - PC or Mac.
- TI Student Software - download site for software for use by students who wish to work with the nSpire on a computer. A free 30-day trial is offered. We suggest taking advantage of this before purchasing the product in order to see if it is useful to you. The free TI Computer Link Software may be sufficient for your needs.
- TI Teacher Software - download site for software for use by teachers in designing and sharing lessons with the TI nSpire. A free 30-day trial is offered. You may want to take advantage of this, but we suspect that you will find the abilities it provides to be well worth the purchase of this software.
Video tutorials are a good way to get familiar with the TI nSpire.
- TI Quick-Look - a quick look at the capabilities of the nSpire.
- Tutorials from Atomic Learning - a good place to start for those unfamiliar with the nSpire. These videos will get you going quickly.
- Tutorials from Texas Instruments - directly from the maker of the nSpire, organized by subject.
Other useful videos.
- 3D Parametric Volume - use 3D parametric equations to illustrate volumes of solids of revolution and volumes of solids by cross section.
Student lessons are useful to both the teacher and the student. .TNS files can be used with the student and teacher software mentioned above.
- Lessons from Texas Instruments - This is the TI Math Nspired Website; it provides pre-developed activities for many areas of math.
- Lessons from Google Groups - TI Nspire Group Website from a group dedicated to making the most of the TI nSpire.
- Lessons from ticalc.org - Provides math lessons from Algebra to Calculus and beyond.