Probability and Statistics
This page contains resources that may be of interest to students studying Statistics. The number of resources on this page will grow as additional items are developed. If you have any questions or special requests, please contact Earl at email@example.com.
Handbooks and References
Students of Statistics may find the Algebra Handbook to be a useful reference.
- Table of Normal Distribution z-values to 5 decimals in a Microsoft Excel file.
- Algebra and PreCalculus Handbook version 2.8 – Covers two years of Algebra, some Probability and Statistics, and some Pre-Calculus.
- Prob/Stat Handbook is in development.
For more information on the handbooks, including download instructions, go to the Math Handbook page.
- Correlation Coefficient Calculation and Scatterplot Examples - Provides a sample calculation of the Coefficient of Correlation for a small sample using Microsoft Excel, and a page on how scatter plots are used in evaluating individual stocks (using Apple Computer stock as an example).
- Formula Sheet Relating to the Correlation Coefficient - Provides a set of formulas that relate to the calculation of the correlation coefficient. Includes formulas for the mean, standard deviation, variance, covariance, z-score, coefficient of correlation, regression line and residuals.
- Scatterplot Data Re-Expression Guide - A guide to which re-expression models to use when points in a scatterplot are not nearly linear. 10 pages. Printing Tip: download the file, open it in Adobe Reader, and click on print orientation "Auto portrait/lansdcape" before printing.
- Probability and Statistics App version 0.7p3 – Covers topics in Probability and Statistics. In development, but contains some useful capabilities.
For more information on the PC Apps, including download instructions, go to the PC Apps page.
The value of reviewing these sample problems and solutions is twofold. The more obvious benefit relates to problems that a student has difficulty solving themselves; a solution is provided. Less obvious is the set of techniques used in our solutions; some of the techniques used on the sample problems may not be taught in the classroom. We concentrate on efficient solutions and shortcuts; so a review of the solved problems may present new techniques that enable a student to be more efficient in their approach to solving problems.
Regular Statistics (not AP)
- 2013-2014 Semester 1 Sample Final - Problems and Solutions – Practice final and step-by-step solutions for the first semester of Regular Statistics.
AP Statistics Handbook and Problems for DRHS Students (limited access: password required)
Damonte Ranch High School students may click here to access worked out problems and a handbook for AP Statistics class. A User ID and Password is required to view these files. To those not attending DRHS, my apologies. I need to respect the propriety of the material developed at the school.
TI-84 Calculator Resources
It is imperative that students become proficient at using the TI-84 calculator for the AP Statistics exam. Here are a few resources to help you attain proficiency:
- TI-84 Calculator Tips – A 2-page summary of the most common uses of the TI-84 for Statistics. Provided by Delmar College, Corpus Christi, TX.
- TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Guidebook – A 700-page guide to using the TI-84 Plus calculator, published by Texas Instruments. Statistics is covered in Chapters 12 and 13 (pp. 273-386). Some probability topics are covered in Chapter 2 (pp. 51-91) and in the Appendix (pp. 566-658).
- TI-84 Calculator Tutorials – This website provides step-by-step tutorials for using the TI-84 calculator. Sections 5, 6 and 8 to 11 will be of interest to Statistics students. Provided by Macon State College, Macon, GA.
AP Statistics - Sample Exams and Solutions
You may need to register with the College Board to obtain the materials on the following websites. Each of the following sites has useful information; the student should check out each one.
- College Board AP Statistics Exam Homepage – Provides a course description, syllabus and additional information relating to the Exam.
- College Board AP Statistics Exam Information Website – Provides information about the Exam, including multiple choice questions, free-response questions, scoring guidelines, sample responses to free response questions and score distributions.
- College Board AP Statistics Exam Practice Website – Provides sample AP Exams and scoring guidelines for more than 10 years.